Monday, January 9, 2012

Fabric flower wreath tutorial

Over the weekend I made a wreath that I can leave out all year round. You will need:
1 18" wreath frame
4 felt squares, or any fabric scraps to wrap around it
Several 1 1/4 " strips of fabric more or less depending on how full you want the wreath to be. Mine were 16-24 inches long, the longer the fabric strip the fuller the flower. 
Hot glue gun and lots of glue sticks
ruffler foot
Lets start!! 
 Cut your felt into 2 inch srips. Hot glue the edge of the felt to the inside of the wreath frame. Wrap felt around the frame and glue the loose end to the back. Continue to do this with the felt until the entire wreath frame is covered.
This is what it will look like when you are done. 

 Now it is time to ruffle (or gather if you don't have a ruffler foot) I ruffled all of my fabric strips at 3.5 stitch width, and on a 6. I did ruffle some of them at 1 which made for a really full flower, I liked having them a little different! I would guess that I had about 50 strips of fabric when I was all done.
 Coil up the fabric into a loose circle. I would sometimes hold it tight at the bottom and let the top be a little looser, it all depends on how you like your flowers.
 Spread some hot glue on the felt, make a round glue puddle and press the bottom of your flower into your glue puddle.
  Press it down until it looks the way you want, flatten it out a bit, don't let the flower stand straight up and down.
 Continue to this until your wreath is covered with flowers. Once I thought I was done I made some smaller flowers and added them in to any spot that looked like it was a little bare. Add a ribbon to the top for a loop to hang it from and you are done!


 Here is it all finished!



 You can see the large and small flowers and different colors & patterns all over. This can finally stay up all year and I can change my decor around it to work with the seasons!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

It is so pretty! I probably couldn't make one look that good, but you did a great job!!!

Jill {Sweet Diva} said...

I LOVE this......def. going to make one!! I've been needing a new wreath for this time of year, and I think I just found it! :)

~Jill @ Sweet Diva
http://www.sweetdivamj.com

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Beautiful--that be a lot of flowers!

Hopes Handcrafts said...

Wow..this looks amazing!

Ruth said...

Love these flowers and all the different fabrics. The wreath looks gorgeous.
Ruth