Thursday, February 4, 2010

A very sad day

What can you say about one of the greatest men you ever had the pleasure to know? This is Grandpa. No one called him by his name, he was Grandpa to everyone who knew and loved him, which was many, many people! We lost him on Wednesday of this week, he lived a very long and full life. I know that he will forever watch over all of us, and now he is back in the arms of his loving wife, who passed almost 5 years ago, and he has been so lonely without her. So I am happy that they are together again, but we will all miss him more that he will ever know.
He was a true joy to be around, he always had a huge smile and the best hugs ever. He also picked out the sweetest cards on Birthdays and Christmas, must be where my hubbs gets it from. I can see so much of him in Grandpa, they have the same kind & giving nature and a huge passion for the people in their life. I will miss seeing him at all the family events, or having him over for dinner. I wish my little guys would have had more years to really get to know what a wonderful great grandpa they had, they will miss the bags of M & M's, Grandpa always had enough for all the kids in his pocket every time we saw him. They always had so much fun playing with Great Grandpa.

His funeral is this Saturday, and I know it will be one I will never forget, he served in WW2 and is being laid to rest with full military honors. He was a great man who had nothing but love & kindness in his heart for all he knew. We miss you so much Grandpa, give Grandma a great big hug from us all. You will be forever in our hearts.



15 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Aww Missy, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I pray for strength to help you get through the next few days and beyond.

What a wonderful shot of grandpa with the cowboy hat. Such a treasure!

Thinking of you.

Donna

the thrifty ba said...

always tell your kids stories of him. that way he stays alive in your heart. sorry for your loss.

Creations By Cindy said...

Sending you prayers at this time. I know how you feel. I was caregiver to both my grandparents and I miss them so much. TFS your heart! Cindy

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you are having this sad day. It makes me think of my Mom and the best Step-Dad ever! Puts a lump in my throat too.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today and Saturday.

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. With full military honours, does that mean they played taps on the trumpet? There is no way I can not cry when i hear that, it's such a beautiful and haunting melody.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he was a real treasure! I'm so sorry for your loss and will pray for you and your family! Thanks for sharing the pics with us! MAde me smile at such a sweet old face. HUGS!

Victoria said...

I can relate. My Pappy died in 2006. I have missed and thought about him every single day since then. My little one was only a year old so he'll never remember my wonderful Pappy..

God Bless you and your family during this time.

1 Funky Woman said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. So happy he is now reunited with the love of his life! My mother died in 2002 at the age of 58 and I wonder if when you meet someone else who has had a loved one die if by some way they meet in heaven like we have met on earth...hmmm just a thought!

My prayers are with you and your family.
Megan

willowbird35 said...

Missy, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. He sounds like he was an amazing person!

Elder Esplin said...

Sending you lots of love... today is the 2nd year anniversary of my grandmother's passing. Her love still lives on. I too know that she is still with us and watching over us. They are always here!

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Coleen's Corner said...

Sending prayers your way.

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Such special memories. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Amy Kinser said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Boy, it's hard to lose someone you love so much. I do understand.

God bless.

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.
Sounds like he was a wonderful person and great role model.
Hugs,
Rose

LizO said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Grandparents don't seem to be around long enough but usually leave a huge imprint on our hearts.

Hugs to you on this day.

Liz